Monday, December 31, 2007

Adios 2007 y Adios San Miguel

Another year bites the dust today and I sit here this morning thinking back on the past year.  It has been a great year of exploration and adventure, learning more about myself and my outlook at the world and most importantly of friendships and family.  It has been a wonderful year and one where we learned to care and ride the horses, that we finished the renovation of the rancho and the extensive gardens, were able to fully (well almost) communicate with people in the campo, were invited to weddings, first communions and other significant celebrations in the pueblos around our rancho, worked extensively with Patronatos por Niños in the local schools and generally had a wonderful experience.  It was also a year that for the first time in almost eight that I started working close to full time again.

Well it is this last point that is going to dictate the upcoming year as we have decided to return to the Bay Area and will be leaving San Miguel.  It is our plan to leave San Miguel around the middle of March as I commence working full time in 2008 and I need to be back closer to San Francisco and the South Bay.

The experience has been wonderful and one that I would recommend to anyone who is looking to experience life in a different country with different cultures, customs and languages.  We have established many friendships that we will carry forward and continue, but at this point of time we feel we must continue our adventures and move back. 

Because of the work commitments and preparing for the move, my postings both here on this blog and on my photo of the day blog at www.sanmiguelphotooftheday.blogspot.com will be much more limited than what I was able to do during the past two years.  I hope you can understand.

So happy new year and may 2008 bring you continued happiness and good health. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, good luck to you, Jon and your JoAnn, in whatever you do. Thanks for the postings on your blog - I've enjoyed them and you've shown me a more intimate another side of San Miguel that has been rewarding for me as a reader and occasional visitor. I'll see you on down the road.

Bill Owens

Anonymous said...

i will miss your beautiful pictures. perhaps you can post a few more before you leave.

best wishes on your new venture of going back to work full time.

Happy 2008 to you and Jo Ann.

Teresa Freeburn
We'll be in Chacala on Sunday-hard to believe the time is almost here.

Anonymous said...

WOW - a real shock after all your work on the rancho - now I know why we haven't heard from you for a while - I would be curious to read about the transition back if you were willing to share those experiences.

Of course, people go back - and this is something I haven't given much thought.

Question - did you sell your rancho and if not how will you deal with that.

Whatever is going on I have enjoyed our interaction on the Internet and your Blog.

Regards,
John Calypso

Billie Mercer said...

Jon, I'm really surprised and I hate to see you two leave SMA. But maybe you will be back one of these days.
Hope to talk with you before you take off.

Jon of SMA said...

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the comments.

In response to John's comment, yes I am planning to highlight the experiences of heading back and what has changed in our lives in the years that we have lived down here.

Did we sell our rancho, not yet, I am trying and if it sells great, if not we will be back. I have an excellent crew that will keep it maintained so that is not a big concern for us.

Tolteca said...

I live in SMA, Valle de Maiz, and have looked at all of your blog, Thanks. Your first message said you have all under custodial care and may return. I look forward to your return even though it has been about 60 years since I rode to care for fences on my great uncles rancho near Cochise Ariz. It was a good life and life is still good.

http://oenthomas.blogspot.com

Cjon. Valle de Maiz #5a 415 152 4606, Skype tolteca888